Household fumes can be hazardous to small pets. Birds, in particular, are vulnerable to such fumes, especially smoke from burning foods, due to their small size and sensitive respiratory systems. Overheating cooking sprays, oils, fats, margarine and butter may also create dangerous fumes which a bird's respiratory system cannot handle. Scorched plastic handles or utensils can also contaminate the air and endanger birds. Nonstick cookware with polytetrafluorethylene (PTFE) coating can emit fumes harmful to birds. For safety reasons, never cook with animals in or near the kitchen.
Is cooking with nonstick cookware harmful to my pets?